About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

A's and an A- on Play Evaluations - Monday, March 20, 1961

We had band practice tonight for our concert next Tuesday. The freshmen are playing with us and it really makes a big difference. The seniors were going to go to Des Moines tomorrow to the legislature, but they decided we can't go because of the weather. Darn! Well, I got A's on three of the plays I wrote about and an A- on Pygmalion. Maybe she decided I deserved it after her harsh treatment of me on the MacBeth test. We took Linda Timmins home after band and I tried to back up in "park." I thought I was stuck.

6 comments:

Ron said...

Your gear incident reminded me of the time one of the kids kicked the gear shift out of drive into neutral when I was driving down the freeway on the way to Wash DC and I thought I had lost all power and panicked.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

When Bill said to me last night, "So you thought you were stuck," I thought of a time when I was still at West Chester. It was after school and I roared the engine just as Miss Flake walked past. It was in the fall or spring and my window was down. She said, "It would help if you put it in "drive."

Ron said...

I always thought she was a dour woman but now I think she just had a dry sense of humor lost on junior high kids or at least me.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I also remember a day in the spring when our world history class was using Miss Flake's room. Mr. Kephart was the teacher and somehow managed to tip over a bouquet of irises on her file cabinet. Some of the water got inside the top drawer where she stored her purple duplicator master sheets. She came back into the room just before he dismissed us at the end of class. I think she could have killed him.

Ron said...

All I really remember is cutting up formaldehided animals on black wax lined cake pans. Ick. I still smell it. And the point was...

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

A woman whose blog I read recently wrote about her memory of having to kill the frog first. She couldn't do it.