About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

President Johnson's Choice is Hubert Humphrey - Wednesday, August 26, 1964

President Johnson announced his choice for Vice President today, Senator Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota. They both flew down from Washington (where Johnson had called Humphrey this afternoon for a last talk) to appear before the convention. Governor Hughes gave one of the seven seconding speeches for Johnson, but none of the networks covered his. We girls went to town this morning. I got some blue wool and a pattern for a slingshot jumper, two blouses for $5 - a special at Penneys - and some other things I needed. I took our typewriter and mine to the Journal office and used a pressure blower they have to clean the dirt and erasures out of them. I went over to the school to see Mom's second grade room where she will be this year in what was the high school home ec room.

No comments: