About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Tom-toms and "Song of the Medicine Man" - Wednesday, November 11, 1964

At 8:00 the house council talked to Dean Miller about getting the cottage back.  She doesn't think there's much hope since it will supposedly be torn down or moved to make room for the new student union addition. By the fall of 1966 Nickel, Dyer and Woodward are supposed to be gone, too, with new dorms taking their places. We went to the school at 10:00 to get in on the part of the day we miss. I worked in cooperation with the music supervisor for singing, dancing and beating tom-toms to "Song of the Medicine Man."

No comments: