About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Starting Yearly Salary Next Year Will be $5000 - Thursday, November 19, 1964

It was neat going to school in the snow. We've gone in all kinds of weather now. Beauvais' tomahawk mended perfectly and the handle even covers up the crack. I won't know what to do with myself after tomorrow. The feeling is bad enough now, the fact that tomorrow is the last day. We went back out for a faculty meeting at 4:00. That school is really on the ball. Mr. Fincher said their starting [yearly] salary next year will be $5000! Pre-registration for my last trimester at Park was today. I played LLC basketball tonight and made 4 of our 10 points.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In 1965, I taught two classes of Chemistry, Two classes of Geometry, one class of Physics and one class of Math for Seniors and coached basketball. I was paid $5,000. Betsy taught five classes of General Science, one Study Hall and was paid $5,400. It was my first year of teaching and Betsy's second. I had a BA and Betsy had a MAT. We taught in the public school of Bloomfield, NM.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Thanks for weighing in here, Clifford and Betsy. You each had huge class loads. It's incredible that we were paid that - and most public school teachers are still receiving low salaries.