About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Four are Concerned About "Railroad" Situation - Monday, January 25, 1965

Out of the storm a calm. [Four Stephens girls] called me into [the room of two of them] to talk over the "railroad" situation - they really are concerned about the "bad name" it has caused for Stephens. I think they should be "blameless" in an unfortunate situation. One of my third graders, Jeri Pitcher, is having trouble with arithmetic, and her mother would like me to tutor her. She had high praise about how much Jerri thinks of me. Also Mr. Fike was very nice - he had a final today, but then he is going to look up some tests for us. Scorpio even guided male attention toward me when Rog asked me if I'd like to study soc psych with him and Marty Wednesday night, and Bill Lafferty called me to ask about The Family assignment.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Just was thinking about something I was wondering a while back but I hope I didn't already ask! Do you recall all the people you reference in your entries. I think it would be really interesting to have these names pop up again and see if they were memorable enough to recall them.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Ron, I remember most of them. Park had fewer than 500 students when I was there.