About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

National Merit Sample Test Results - Saturday, January 16, 1960

This morning I drove into town and Phyllis, Virginia and I got our hair cut. Virginia got her new glasses lenses. I got Ann a little more for her birthday. We had piano lessons. Carmen came along. Mom and I took the sample test for the National Merit Scholarship Test for fun. Of 21 questions she missed seven, I missed six. They're pretty hard.

6 comments:

Hilary said...

It's great to read your daily entries and see the day by day progression through the year. I love the details of a day and how they build a life. Thanks for posting these and letting me see into your world. Keep them coming! I'd love to read more!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Blog posting is fun, isn't it Hilary? I find that my daily posting is giving me something to look forward to each day.

Ron said...

I just saw a book at the book store that looked interesting. It was journal of life on the farm in the '50s and '60s. I will have to go take a look again. I think it was Iowa. I know there have been several of these but this one looked particularly interesting. I love being reminded of those things in your daily musings. I visited my uncle's farm a lot growing up and so the things you mention are memory joggers for me.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

You have reminded me of a quote that I once heard you say--"Iowa looks like, and probably is, what America was meant to be, but never was."

Ron said...

Great quote!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Do you know who first came up with it?