About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

A Letter to Dr. Frank Drake - Friday, March 11, 1960

Well, well, I came home to the energy of a weekend, practicing the piano (second time in four weeks) for my lesson tomorrow, doing my homework, and writing to Dr. Frank Drake on Project Ozma in West Virginia about Ezekiel I. Tomorrow Phyl goes to the girls' basketball state finals in Des Moines - the reward of going out for basketball. We had P. E. The girls and boys "share" dressing rooms because of so many in track. What a mess! Washington now has its record snowfall. It will take about $50,000 for county snow removal this year, when it usually is $8,000.

4 comments:

Hilary said...

That's a big difference in dollar amounts for snow removal! It's neat to have a record snowfall year documented in the day-to-day of your journal.

Suzanne Whitt said...

It is a big difference. There was an article in the Omaha paper today estimating our costs this year at 1.5 million - more than twice the cost of last year!
Interesting that both 1960 and this year have had hard winters.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Happy Birthday, Hilary! Yes, it was interesting to see the dollar amounts that were spent for snow removal in 1960 and the years prior to then.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Hi, Suzanne. You prompted me to find out when The Long Winter happened in The Little House books. Their hard winter was from October 1880 to April 1881.