About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Five Matching Shirts - Monday, February 29, 1960

This February 29th page has been blank in my three previous diaries. Mom, Daddy and Phyllis went to Peterses tonight for a Sunday School meeting. I stayed with the kids and did homework. We started and completed stencils for the paper today. Mrs. Small took it to Kalona to run off. All five of us (Linda, Roberta, Jerolyn, Helen and I) wore our snazzy matching shirts.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Do you remember what the snazzy shirts were like? I had forgotten about stencils. Things were hard back then! I have a hard time explaining things like setting type with metal pieces and how things were in the old days! I don't do it much because it makes me feel really old. But sometimes I want them to understand how much new technology and computers has changes things like publishing a newsletter. I sure don't miss the stencil days!

Ron said...

has changes should have read have changed! Now in the stencil days that correction...

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I don't remember what the shirts were like. But apparently they were acceptable to our teachers and Mr. Fudge, who in addition to being the principal was also our physics teacher.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Oh yes--having to make a correction while typing was a pain. First there were the white ditto master sheets when we had to use a razor blade to scrape off the mistake and then try to type over it. The green stencils were easier when all it took was a dab of correction fluid. But even then we had to let it dry before continuing.