About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Nixon for President - Wednesday, July 27, 1960

Nixon has just been nominated as the Republican candidate for president . The speakers (such as Tom Dewey) have been so good. We went swimming this afternoon. Ann learned so much this summer that she jumped off the high board today. I was going to get more buttons for my dress but the stores were closed when we got uptown. We got library books.

4 comments:

Ron said...

The library on hot summer days saved me in Wellman. I remember loving summer but I have a feeling I was also bored. Those Hardy Boys mysteries in front of the fan on days like today...

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I remember browsing the shelves of the fiction section and looking at content as I chose my three-book limit, then watching an LOL (as in little old lady) librarian take the card out of its book pocket and carefully stamp the due date as close as she could get it to its proper place.

Ron said...

Oh yes! And whispers only. No rowdiness or goofing off. I was actually scared of the librarian.

Years later I was doing some graphics for the library and discovered their library cards (I think they were mint green) all read "Pubic Library." Had been that way for years. Whoops. That was one graphic change I didn't have to argue for!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I think the cards at the Washington Public Library were pale orange.