About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

A Permanent for School - Saturday, August 27, 1960

Mom just got done giving me a permanent. It will be nice to have a new one for school. This morning we went to town. I got a blue cartridge pen to replace the one I lost. I'll try to put my name (and address) on this one. I tried on an $8.00 sweater at Wards. I'm glad I didn't just buy it--it didn't fit quite right. We baled hay here this afternoon. Lena Jane got my dinosaur's feet dirty in some soot from the stove pipe!

6 comments:

Ron said...

I gotta ask: what is the dinosaur's feel referenence all about?

Suzanne Whitt said...

Good question Ron - I wondered the same thing!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Oops--since I use "2 comments" as an indication that I have responded to a comment, I thought I had already done so. There was a stove pipe that came up into my room from the downstairs stove. It made a 45 degree turn overhead and went into the wall near the ceiling. Sometimes the overhead part of the pipe would come apart at the seam and drop soot onto the floor of my room...

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

...I don't think we ever thought about it as a safety hazard. If my parents did, I wasn't aware of it.

I had a dinosaur among the stuffed animals on my bed. Lena decided it needed to go for a walk on the floor.

Ron said...

Barb, that is a logical answer that makes it really funny!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I fell asleep last night thinking about our 1950s oil-burning dining room stove and its pipe.

I remember feeling a little miffed about the dinosaur because I had been thinking about taking it with me to college. It was covered in green felt and had yellow felt spikes and feet.