About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

School Paper and Annual - Thursday, September 15, 1960

Shirley, Ronna, Mary Ellen and I stayed after school tonight to get some information about the school paper and annual settled. Maybe it's not going to be too bad! At least I "caught" the activity bus, and I suppose Mary Ellen did. I gave my speech today. I'm glad it's over with. Ugh with "reading social sciences" on state tests! I had my first P.E. class--we had a movie about soccer.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Barb,

I was thinking that in spite of the hardships of being that first class in the combined schools and not having the new building, you did have the opportunity to begin the traditions that continue such as the yearbook, newspaper, and so on. I just took them all for granted when I came along because they were already established.

Also several weeks ago you posted a lot about the pipeline going through the farm. Then last week after that horrific blast in California,they were talking about the aging gaslines in the country and they were over 50 years old in many places.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Yes--that is a good way of remembering the Mid-Prairie Class of 1961. We were the ones that got to do everything for the first time.

I thought about the pipelines on Grandma and Grandpa's farm, too, when I read about the pipeline explosion in California.