About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Turnpike Driving - Monday, December 26, 1960

We got a fairly good start for Ohio this morning and got here in thirteen hours. It snowed until we got into Illinois. We went right near to the place where those three ladies were murdered in Starved Rock State Park last spring. They let me drive some on the Ohio turnpike for about an hour. Daddy slept in the back seat! Karen is quite a little girl. In Illinois we also saw the various canals--I'd never noticed them before. We'll have quite a little ways to go to Edington, Illinois to play basketball.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Gosh, Barb, I thought our 8 hour drive was long yesterday with some snowy roads but 13 hours with six in the car would have been excrutiating! Was I-80 there then or just the Indiana and Ohio turnpikes?

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Those were the days....I-80 had not been built. At a turnpike rest stop I remember reading the caption on the back of a picture post card that said the Ohio turnpike had been built at the cost of a million dollars a mile.