About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

A White Christmas - Saturday, December 24, 1960

Since Christmas is on Sunday this year we decided to open our presents on Christmas eve. It's kind of nice for a change. From Mom and Dad I got: a black cardigan, slip, hose, slippers, pajamas, Phyl and I the book, Between You, Me and the Gate Post  by Pat Boone, from Phyl stationery, Virginia a "Don't Just Sit There--Worry" pillow, Ann a desk set, Grandma Kay, skirt material, Schwartzes an autograph hound. I gave Mom serving dishes, Daddy brush and comb, both card table cover, Phyl pillow, Virginia change purse, and Ann little travel bag and film. We're going to have a white Christmas. 

4 comments:

Ron said...

Been thinking alot about Christmases past when I was a kid and how much fun they were. It is fun to read about yours.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I am a little surprised that as a senior in high school I was still focused on "I got."

Ron said...

Oh, I don't know. We still ask that when we talk after Christmas. I asked the kids: "Oh what did you get?"

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I just had a flashback to the snicker that went through the Park College chapel Sunday morning service congregation when the student giving the offertory prayer said "....who taught us that it is more blessed to receive..."