About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Dennis's Scratch - Sunday, January 22, 1961

This cold weather is not to my liking. I did manage to get ahead and finish most of the chemistry unit we're on now--which amounted just to the review. My "Greetings Extra-terrestrials" takes just either side of ten minutes. Yi! Dennis scratched me yesterday morning on the hand when I pushed him out of bed. I enjoy looking at it! I slept to within fifteen minutes of church time this morning. Wish I could start going to bed at 6:00. This week should be goodly average. Here's hoping I get myself off the chemistry failing list!!

6 comments:

Ron said...

Well, I gotta ask: WHO was Dennis?

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Glad you asked for a clarification.
Dennis was a kitten. You know it is always good to give a pet a human name.

Ron said...

I love human names for pets!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

So do I. But then I also had a kitten named Hot Diggity.

Hilary said...

I love how your entries sometimes mirror what is going on in current day and the idea that things change, but that there are often similarities in experiences. After we had a deep freeze last week, the cold wasn't to my liking either!
Also, I like human names for pets too!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I like your insight into how even though things have changed, there are similarities to be found today.