About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Burt Lancaster and Liz Taylor Win Oscars - Tuesday, April 18, 1961

Tonight I went to play practice and Phyllis went with Betty, Linda, Sharon and Martha to see "The World of Suzie Wong." (Oscars last night went to Burt Lancaster and Liz Taylor for the best actor and actress.) Virginia was in Mt. Pleasant for a junior high band festival with Washington and Mt. Pleasant. They were an hour or more late getting back because a highway patrolman stopped the bus for not having any lights.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Timely entry with Liz Taylor

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I find it amazing that it was her first Oscar and that she accomplished so much in the 50 years since then.