About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Honor Society Initiation Practice - Sunday, May 14, 1961

This was Mother's Day. Ann gave Mom a box of stationery and the rest of us gave her a Betty Crocker cookbook. We had Honor Society initiation practice this afternoon. Mr. Brown wasn't even there. I'm afraid the new members weren' too favorably impressed. Some of these kids don't even give a hoot about National Honor Society. I bet they won't have any programs and my robe will no doubt drag. We sat and talked a long time at Pence's. I wish I didn't have that eezy-geezy mother-daughter tea--FHA kills me this year.

4 comments:

Ron said...

eezy-geezy your word?!

Ron said...

I just saw last week that Rodale Press is reissuing those Betty Crocker cookbooks from the 1950s. I still use the one my mom used when we were growing up.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

For fun after I read that I did a Google search and found two sites where someone is using it.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

That is interesting that they are being reissued and that you are still using the one your mom used.