About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Mary Todd Lincoln Was Like Scarlet O'Hara - Sunday, July 16, 1961

I had opening exercises downstairs again for the Sunday School kids. Mom said I did a real good job reading Noah's Ark. For some reason, yesterday seems longer ago than yesterday!?! I'm reading Love is Eternal about Mary Todd and Abraham Lincoln. She was a brat about like the mythical Scarlet O'Hara (film version); and she (Mary Todd) came from the richest family in Lexington, Kentucky. Virginia brought the cutest kitten home from camp. They had four down there that they wanted someone to take home since they would be catching the birds.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm really enjoying your posts. (BTW...I read "Love is Eternal" while I was in high school, too!)

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Brenda, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment. I do really like your One Kentucky Writer blog which I remember finding through The Ageless Project site.

I guess I, too, am "a Kentucky Writer" since I "did the math" and determined that I was conceived in Frenchburg, Kentucky where my parents had gone to spend a year working for the Presbyterian Mission School following their Lakewood, Ohio, wedding in 1941 when they were recent graduates of Berea College in Berea, Kentucky.

My birth occurred in Washington, Iowa after they had moved to my grandparents' farm near West Chester, Iowa.