About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Mom Passed Her Comps, Will Have Her M.A. - Tuesday, August 1, 1961

Mom found out in Iowa City this morning that she successfully passed her comps, so now she'll have her M.A. As if she had anything to worry about! When we were at the A&P grocery store I shut my right middle finger in the car door. It was swollen so I kept it on a cold box of French fries on the way home. It's still pretty stiff. I got some white buttons and was able to finish up my housecoat except for the hem. We saw Leets for a few minutes when they stopped here at noon. Jimmy is cute and little Alice looks like a little doll.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Most deserved. The M.A. not the smashed finger!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Yes, we were all proud of my mother for getting her M.A. in Education when she was also doing everything else that you yourself know about from all of her Round Robin letters that you so kindly printed copies of for my sisters and me.

Ron said...

I so often think of the Round Robin letters. They are an amazing chronicle of the time and your family. I have never forgotten how interesting the daily activities were in those letters, more than the milestones even. Not unlike your diary blog.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

And to think that Glenda still asks my sisters and me to share with her any news that we would like for her to include in that same Round Robin that is still making its rounds.