About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Dag Hammarskjold Dies in African Plane Crash - Monday, September 18, 1961

I must get to bed. I was ready first on our floor tonight compared to last last night. I've got Metamorphoses to read and that should do for tomorrow as I've only got French and art since afternoon classes were called off because a former dean of Park [Dr. Walter Frederic Sanders, Dean Emeritus] died yesterday. Dag Hammarskjold, UN Secretary-General was killed in an African plane crash. I gave an introductory speech in speech class. French is all oral for the first two weeks. Dr. Hampl is a lot different than Mrs. Frazier [high school French teacher].

4 comments:

Ron said...

I have a copy of Hammarskjold's book Markings that I had from then. It was really important to me then and I still value having it in my library. Amazing man.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Bill received a copy of the same book when he was an attendant in a wedding in the rose garden in Loose Park many years ago. I also appreciate your comment on my Facebook page about the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts grand opening this past weekend. It was amazing to see all the thousands of people who came on Sunday for our chance to see the wonderful interior.

Ron said...

Dan and I got to meet Cesar Pelli the architect of the new Hancher last night. The preliminary design looks very cool and I kept thinking I just hope it will be almost as cool as the Kauffman.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Ron, I just looked at some of Cesar Pelli's work online. That's thrilling that you and Dan got to meet him.