About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

We Register for Classes and Find Books - Thursday, September 14, 1961

We spent the day registering and running down second hand books. I'm pleased with my first semester schedule: French, biology, world literature, introduction to visual arts, speech and phys ed (speedball and basketball). It's a 17-hour load. I only hope I can manage. I came to Park with the  understanding that it was required to have a campus job. Since it isn't for the first time in its history this year, I haven't one as yet. I was able to get second hand French and biology books. Tonight's event was ACCs sponsored sports in the gym. These whizzing days. Viv and I investigated the town of Parkville this afternoon.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Wondering what the visual arts class was about?

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

The class was commonly known by students as art appreciation. Our professor, Dr. Vincent Campanella, was outstanding. Your question prompted me to do an online search about him. I did not know how well known he had become. He got his start as a WPA artist in Wyoming in the 1930s and became known internationally. He is not to be confused with another Vincent Campanella, born in 1960, who now is working as a screenwriter.