About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Will Dress for Dinner on Wednesdays - Wednesday, September 27, 1961

This afternoon I went down to Vivian's Beauty Shop to get my hair thinned and shortened. It cost $1.50 and looks and feels a lot better. I've had quite a few comments on it, too. Tonight was dress-up for dinner and vespers. Not too many were at vespers. Gordon Edwards gave a very interesting talk. I wrote a four page letter home this evening. I also got a letter from Mom. She told Mrs. Kephart that I tested out of English composition and am taking world literature instead. I'd been wishing she would tell her. But I've got to get a better grip on Ovid before it's too late. I'm doing a terrible job of reading it. Nancy Kelley is here studying Spanish with Viv. Viv is always giving lessons. She, by the way, was one of the 50 finalists in the United Presbyterian college scholarship contest.

2 comments:

Cecelia Futch said...

Another enjoyable post. And wow. $1.50 to get your hair done! Those were the days.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Cecelia, I have been glad several times throughout the transcribing of my diary entries that I wrote how much something cost at the time.