About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Met John Blair Before Our Friday Date - Wednesday, October 4, 1961

I just met John Blair. He seems very nice. I was in my house coat doing French with Barbara Page. Viv came running up to our room and told me to get some clothes on and go down to the lounge to see my date. If Barb hadn't come I probably would have been taking a shower. She, Patti and I went over to the observatory after chapel because the stars were so pretty, but they were having a class. I wrote home and hated to have to say I am almost broke in my letter. I suppose I should have invited them down for Harvest Festival, but I don't think they can take the time to come with corn picking. I thought I couldn't write with black ink but I guess I can.

2 comments:

Cecelia Futch said...

I so enjoy this blog. It makes me long for a simpler, more innocent time. :-)

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I know what you mean. I find myself looking forward to seeing what the next day will bring as I transcribe my college diary pages in this blog.