About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Turned Down a Date With Naaman - Wednesday, October 18, 1961

I have just spent the last of the money (70 cents) Mom and Dad originally gave me when I came to Park for pizza. Now I'll have to cash the check they sent me. I'm going to pass my art test tomorrow if it kills me and food will help hunger. I made a trip to Parkville this afternoon to get some distilled water for my steam iron, some sandpaper, and to inquire about Parkville-Kansas City Trailways bus trips. I hope nobody thought my jug had gin in it! Naaman from Kenya asked me, "Would you take me to the arrangement for Saturday night?" (Harvest Festival dance) but I told him I couldn't go. Some of the girls think I should have gone with him, but I was feeling shy since I've never gone on a formal date.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Barb, there was something very touching about today's post. Something of innocence and honesty and a sense of right and wrong (right or wrong).

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Ron, thank you for your comment. Your words express exactly how I have been feeling since I made that post. I have also been recalling how I felt after the fact 50 years ago.

deer said...

I just discovered your blog and love it!
This diary entry is especially sweet...not sure I can put my finger on it, but I really like this one.
I look forward to reading more.
Thank you for posting.

deer
http://www.ablogtoremember.com

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Karen, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your comment. I'm glad you have discovered the blogosphere. I just came from a quick look at your blog and will return to it now. You are right about blogging being addictive.