About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

A White Blouse is a Late Graduation Present - Monday, October 2, 1961

Isabelle sent me a beautiful white blouse as a late graduation gift. It's just dressy enough to be right for any occasion. Tonight there was an LEC party in the J.R. but Vivien, Nancy K., and I stayed just long enough for our free Cokes and then came back to study and sleep. This afternoon I made a trip to Parkville to get Mrs. Cowan a handkerchief for her birthday, also an eye dropper and ink to save money on cartridges by filling my own (it's messy, however!). Must get to work and sleep!

2 comments:

Cecelia Futch said...

I remember filling my own ink cartridges to save money! I don't even know if you can get ink cartridges anymore except in antique places. I also remember the sinking feeling when I discovered a leaking pen in my purse or jacket! Yuk...

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

There was something about the flow of ink onto the paper from an ink pen that caused me to always prefer writing with one rather than with a ballpoint pen. I always took my lecture notes with my ink pen. I don't remember ever running out of ink. My notes were were thorough and it wasn't long until other girls on my floor would ask to borrow my notes to help them study for a test.