About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

It Has Been a Beautiful Christmas Day - Monday, December 25, 1961

It has been a beautiful Christmas Day. I just love Christmas. There's something about it that's always the same. This one was really white.You know though, in a way Christmas doesn't seem like Christmas - you wait for it and then when it's here (and then it's as good as gone) it seems as if something's "missing." I got a nice pair of slacks, orange blouse, blue striped sweater, diary, two ears of corn (biology - I'd said I'd seen enough of it - purple and white kernels), cute red robe, snow boots, gloves, socks, jewelry, big paper clip, paper fastener, "hatch-a-cactus," photo album, year book (will use for "thoughts"), hand lotion, sachet and a bath powder mitt.  We went to Grandma's for a nice big Christmas dinner. Our tree is so pretty this year. Christmas Day always goes so fast.  

4 comments:

Suzanne Whitt said...

Your thoughts on something "Missing" at Christmas time remind me of a Faith Hill song: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/faithhill/whereareyouchristmas.html

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Suzanne, I listened to Faith Hill's Where Are You Christmas? song. I couldn't get it to come up on the site you included so I found it on You Tube. I love her mellow voice. Thank you for sharing the connection you made between her song and my post.

Ron said...

You could have been writing what I was thinking this year (except for the list of gifts!). Something about the ethereal nature of it; just generally not being able to pin it down. And the things that remain the same. Since we are at Dan's and their traditions are a little different it made me think about how wonderful those traditions are and how they live on in the family. Swedish meatballs and gifts on Cmas eve. We had snow there. And our tree at home was particularly beautiful. Or do I always say that. Oh well...

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Ron, your comment about Christmas reminds me that shortly after I listened to Faith Hill's song about Christmas and responded to Suzanne's comment, I read a post by Kristen Spina that she wrote the morning after Christmas, A Little Something More, on her blog, From Here to There and Back Again. She wrote "I am always left wanting - greedy for a little something more."