About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Art Class Will Tour the Nelson Gallery of Art - Thursday, January 18, 1962

I'm exhausted after a wonderful day. First of all I found out I don't have to go to the scheduled speech final, and then we found out that the art class is going to tour the Nelson Art Gallery in place of having a final!! It's like seventh heaven for me, and I got an 89 on the last test. So I wrote to Pat and Delbert saying I could come to visit them over semester break and made my reservation for next Wednesday at 4:15. I finished up my last bio lab reports. It's been snowing so beautifully out. I mailed Ann a rocks and minerals book for her birthday.

6 comments:

Suzanne Whitt said...

That is great news about the Art final!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I had forgotten about that being a factor - not having to take a final - in my getting a C for the course.

Ron said...

Ah, your first (?) visit to the Nelson. How cool is that.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Yes, it would have been my first visit to the Nelson - another benefit of going to a college near a city.

Ron said...

I can't tell you how much I love that place. And I haven't even been to the new and improved one.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

You need to make a trip to Kansas City - maybe some weekend this spring or summer?