About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

A Nelson Art Gallery Tour and A Trailways Bus Trip - Wednesday, January 24, 1962

I got to the El Dorado interchange and met Delbert, Pat and Jeffrey at 8:00 tonight. It was sure a nice bus trip with a hostess and everything. It was a nice, modern "Five Star Service" Trailways bus, and the new Kansas City station is real nice, too. The school bus driver that took us to the Nelson Art Gallery let me off at the station. The art gallery was so nice and we felt as if we got quite a good understanding of it with our art background. Oh boy, a semester of college over with (doesn't even seem possible!) and a semester break to celebrate!

4 comments:

Ron said...

Not only was air travel cool in those days but bus was too. Had no idea.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

At first I thought you meant an air conditioned bus...no, Ron, it was January...heated was what you meant...and then realized you meant "cool" as in "way to go."

Mary Aalgaard said...

Love that glimpse at travel and what you enjoyed along the way.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Mary, that was a way of seeing what a trip was like then.