About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Will Be in Charge of Periodicals - Wednesday, January 31, 1962

I think I'm going to like my two new classes of anatomy and physiology and introduction to music, and I know I'm going to like my job. Dick Connett is leaving the library for a job in the chemistry department so I am taking over his job in charge of periodicals. It involves sorting the mail, recording all incoming magazines and newspapers, and putting them on the racks. I won't have any morning work so I'll try to get my French done after second hour. I got a good letter from Mom. Tonight we had a Campus Church meeting with election of officers.

6 comments:

Suzanne Whitt said...

Were you keeping some classes besides French from your first semester, or did you take a lighter load 2nd semester?

Ron said...

Sounds like a really nice fresh start! Not bad first semester given all the new things in your life!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Suzanne, I also took a new phys ed class (which one I will write about soon), so French and world lit were repeats from the first semester, French as a requirement and world lit as my choice to replace freshman composition which I tested out of.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Ron, wait till you hear about my introduction to music woes.

Ron said...

The entries that are about the Freshman academic angst vs. the social part are so fun!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Yes, Ron, I was one who thought it was good to have some fun and to make non-academic contributions to my life at Park. I remember some of us feeling bad for several girls whose semester grades didn't meet their expectations even though they seemed to have studied all the time they weren't in class.