About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Dr. Hauptmann and Mr. Mitchell Answer Questions in Debate Form - Monday, March 19, 1962

Was this ever a beautiful day. It really went right to the heart. It got up as high as 77 and was 66 at supper time. Tonight Dr. Hauptmann and Mr. Mitchell answered political and social questions in debate form in Alumni. It was very interesting to listen to them. I'd have courses under both of them if I'd taken political science and anthropology. We're on the last lesson in our French book. I took five pictures outside before music class. The LLCs had a basketball game which they lost. I can't play in the 4:00 games because of work. Dean White said I don't have to stay for next Saturday's world lit class.

4 comments:

Ron said...

You have mentioned taking photos alot since being at Park. Do you still have any of the photos?

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Yes, I put them in a photo album which I still have. I also kept a scrapbook of mementos which was full
at the end of my sophomore year. I filled a second scrapbook with junior and senior year keepsakes. My mom had a photo album and a scrapbook from Berea College so I wanted to do what she had done.

Ron said...

How cool is that.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I'm glad I have them.