About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Sleeping All Morning, Shopping This Afternoon, Chores This Evening - Saturday, March 31, 1962

I slept all morning (but not until after Phyllis brought me up some Swiss cheese at 4:45). This afternoon we went to town. I had quite a spring shopping spree - green and white plaid suit, aqua dress (they had to undress the window dummy) red and white striped long "twist" blouse, white pleated skirt and tan hopsack tennis shoes. Ann and I went out to do the eggs and get the buckets ready. Grandma and Grandpa are on a trip to Ohio and Virginia. Chores are simple without the cows.

4 comments:

Suzanne Whitt said...

That was VERY nice of Phyllis to bring you cheese at 4:45!! She must have missed having you around!
Glad you got to go home for break - did I miss it or had you not mentioned that you were going to?

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I'm guessing the Swiss cheese came from the Kalona Cheese Factory. They made (still make) wonderful Swiss cheese. At the beginning of my March 29th entry I wrote about spring vacation.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Catching up on a few of your posts. Very fun to read about you in your college days!
Sounds like it was a lovely spring that year, too.
Play off the Page

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Mary, I'm glad you have enjoyed reading about my college days. It's always interesting to have a season turn out to be the same as it was 50 years ago.