About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Arranging for Book Purchases - Wednesday, September 5, 1962

There wasn't anything going on for upperclassmen today. We slept till 9:30 when Karen Bentson woke us up to ask me if I'd like to go together with her to buy the religion book. I guess I will since we're not supposed to have to use it much. I got one of the sociology books secondhand and have the other books I need spoken for. This afternoon Nancy, Margie and I walked around Parkville and had Cokes at the drug store. The Beers folksinging team that was here last year was in the Meetin' House tonight.

4 comments:

Ron said...

Cokes at the Drugstore. You remind me of so many memorable small events from my youth!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

"Many memorable small events" - that has been my intention in recording them. I am reading a book now, Too Close to the Falls, that Catherine Gildiner wrote about her childhood in Lewiston, New York, near Niagara Falls. She wrote about "firing a long red smoky row of caps" with the cap guns she and her friends played with. That was something I had forgotten about.

Ron said...

When I read that I could smell the acrid caps smoke!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Hmmm. When I read about Catherine's memory I remembered shooting cap guns with my sisters but also with the neightbor boys who lived around the corner (and across the pasture and creek) from us.