About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Vivien and Charlie Are Engaged - Wednesday, September 19, 1962

You make yourself go forth. You tell yourself you'll do it. And you look forward to Saturday morning when you can sleep all morning because, luckily, the French test isn't till Tuesday. You remain optimistic although there is a strong desire to be pessimistic. I have a soc. test tomorrow. But I'll also have to type my religion paper, do my French and history assignments, read three chapters in psychology and study for the test - for Friday. Carol didn't use my article on the Language Institute - or at least I saw nothing of it when Regina and I read proof tonight. All of these are my responsibilities. Vivien and Charlie are engaged. Such is life.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As one who even at this late time in life has returned to school, and having just wrapped up another quarter, I can really identify with all the responsibilities that piled up! I know it was many years ago, but I hope you got everything done! ;-)

Thanks for continuing to stop by my blog. Now that I'm on break, I'm enjoying catching up with everyone. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Hi Cecelia. It's good to have you visit my blog again. You are to be commended for all of the intensive course work you are undertaking. I finished my tenure at Park with some A's, a lot of B's and C's and two D's for my course grades. And was disappointed when I didn't get to be the women's Outstanding Parkite at the awards ceremony near the end of my senior year. My mom wrote me a wonderful paragraph in her weekly letter to me, "You didn't get to be an Outstanding Parkite, but..."

Vivienne said...

Ha, I didn't have a record of when we were engaged. Or was that just when you saw fit to comment on it?

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Vivienne! I had no idea you read my blog. I probably wrote about your engagement as soon as I heard about it. Just so you know, the "rats" comment was about my responsibilities, not your engagement and the -; was directly from the diary. I guess I was 50 years ahead of things if I used a frown symbol back then.




Ron said...

Barb,
For some reason I think it is really amazing that someone being written about here is reading the blog. I don't even know these people and yet it somehow seems to take it out of your diary and make it all the more real. Wow

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Ron, I had some good feedback about the diary when I went to Park's alumni weekend on Friday, September 28. Fifty years to the night after the Stylus staff and student council members had supper at the president's house, I sat in the midst of Park graduates on the lawn between between the president's house and the chapel for a barbecue supper.

Ron said...

That is so cool.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I thought you would like that.