About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

An A- on "Two Days Late" Religion Paper - Friday, December 14, 1962

At five till 9:00 tonight at least five kids, myself included, were rolling the last pages of psychology research papers out of our typewriters and dashing madly over to Mackay to get them in Dr. Gochman's mailbox before the 9:00 deadline. I didn't even get the last half of mine proofread - with my "tiredness" plenty of mistakes will probably show up. I got an A- on my religion paper. When I got it back and read what Dr. Johnson had written on the first page, at first I thought it said "too damn long." I thought, coming from Dr. Johnson, that was pretty bad. Then I realised he had written "two days late."

4 comments:

Suzanne Whitt said...

I've been waiting to see how you did on that paper - I know I had head the "too damn long" story before - didn't realize I was watching it unfold!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Yes, 50 years later, it is still as amusing to me as it was that morning. Dad mentioned it, too.

Ron said...

Suzanne: I too was waiting and waiting to see what the grade on the late paper was! Funny story.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

It was interesting to recall that Dr. Johnson was a hard grader on tests but more lenient on papers.