About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

News From Mr. Reynolds and the President - Monday, January 7, 1963

I'm up to my neck in news writing. Thank heavens all of my classes tomorrow are new ones so none of my homework has to be done. I spent over an hour getting a good provocative interview from Mr. Reynolds on the problem of assembly attendance, and he also gave me information for two more articles he wants done. If Carol doesn't find room for it all, well, she better. I also got in to see the president for a few minutes. I must be developing the distinguished look of a settled down student. Both of them asked me my major, and I replied happily, "elementary education." (Vivien told me before Christmas I didn't sound very happy about it.) I told Dr. Frizzle about Uncle Bill - maybe he can speak next year for the Latin American Series.

No comments: