About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Elected Stephens Officers, Chose Rooms - Wednesday, March 27, 1963

Tonight the new members of Stephens went up from 10:00 to 11:30 to elect officers and choose rooms. I am the new secretary. Kathy Gillespie will be treasurer, Diane Porter, president, Karen Garner, vice president, Cheryl Wiley, IDC representative, and Ellen Guild, house council member. Evelyn and I got the last choice room, light blue (actually gray) on the front side next to the lounge. It's going to be fun. I got a D on one of my French tests (horrors! but lots of other kids did badly), and a B on the other. Student council inauguration was this afternoon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Barbara. How wonderful that you kept a journal of your college years. I'll be heading back and checking out older posts to bring myself up to speed with where you are now in your college journey.

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Sherry, thank you for your thoughtful comment. I am enjoying compiling the nightly entries from my high school and college days. I noticed that you are posting daily entries for your Storied Gifts blog. It was special for me to join your blog hop on March 27. The Linky Tools platform you chose makes joining it almost effortless. I like the name you chose for your blog.