About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Had Iris Come for Supper - Monday, July 15, 1963

I had Iris here for supper tonight after she had been at the Methodist Church for the Cinderella [4-H club] achievement show. I didn't get off work as soon as I might have, so by the time I got home Iris had made herself at home here and was reading her paper by the outside of the house since there was no one else home. Mom and Ann had been helping make straw. We fixed the supper Mom had ready and then everyone else got home in time to eat. Iris, Phyllis, Virginia and I went to the show, "Tammy and the Doctor," which was really cute. We went out to the Dog 'N Suds, the new root beer stand.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

I love that Grandma had prepped the supper and the girls got it on the table. I had to look up Tammy and the Doctor. I knew Tammy and the Bachelor, but didn't know this one. It's neat to imagine a movie and dinner out at the root beer stand. I'm really enjoying your diary entries!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Hilary, it's so nice to read your comments about another summer home from Park in 1963. I had forgotten about the other Tammy movie. Bill and I saw a nice Debbie Reynolds interview recently. She is so genuine.