About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Saw Winning 4-H Demonstration - Thursday, August 8, 1963

The club supper was tonight in the park. I went to the fair after work. I got in on the last two performances in the talent show (Top 20 and Rhythmettes). Then I saw the last two 4-H demonstrations. Gretchen Miksch's individual, related subject (both something new) demonstration on physical fitness was very good, and she won, so she can give it at the state fair. Then I went to the pool for a dip before going to the park. I helped June get the drinks ready, and by that time the rest of the people were arriving.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Interesting post to me today since yesterday I went to the Iowa State Fair (for work, yet) and it seemed like it must have been just the same when the Washington Co. winners in your blog went to the Fair. My favorite thing was the cattle barn with the farm kids (some in designer Polo tshirts!) and their livestock, the families, the pride in their work, and the whole protocol for keeping the barn clean. It smelled of hay and made me somewhat nostalgic even though I was never a farm kid!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

I saw on Facebook that you had seen the famous cow made every summer from butter (and the newer Abraham Lincoln butter sculpture) on a work related trip to the state fair.