About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

A Tremendously Interesting Year - December 31, 1963

1963 will soon be over - in 20 more minutes. With a few exceptions, it has been a most wonderful and tremendously interesting year. So many nice things have happened to me and I've done so much. It's always interesting to recall past New Year's Eves. This was a quiet one - I spent it reading Phyllis's and my letters home for this trimester. Phyllis and I went to town this morning. Dr. Smith decided to get my glasses changed somehow since my eyelashes were rubbing against the lenses. Phyllis got her hair trimmed and set. I bought a new winter coat, $40, on sale for $21, at Wards. It looks as good as any other I've seen - blue, nice lines, with a gray "mink" removable collar. It seems such a short time ago that I began this diary. I can't believe the speed of Father Time, who's just about to make another "new" appearance.

2 comments:

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Barbara, what a thrill it must be to look back on these times and treasure the life that has been. I'm so glad you kept this then, and have hung on to it now. You always seemed full of hope and life! Nice that that hasn't changed. :)

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Roxane, you are so kind. I always find something to treasure in each blog post you write. I send you my best wishes for a wonderful 2014. And try to stay warm.