About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

All Night in Union Station - Saturday, December 21, 1963

My train never left the station until 5:00 this morning, so we got to Fairfield at 10:00, and home at 11:00. Luckily I called for the second time last night at about 3:00 and told them - just as they were about ready to leave for Fairfield - that we hadn't left yet and they might as well go back to bed. It was disgusting in a way, yet funny, too, to sit all night in the train station after four hours sleep the night before. The train was cold, too, but I slept three hours, waking up each hour. Mom and I got the dress cut out this afternoon. Traveling sort of interfered with my plans this time! I slept a while this afternoon. Ann, Mom, Daddy and I decorated the church tree tonight.

2 comments:

Suzanne Whitt said...

I feel your travel pain! Those delays can be a beast!

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

So true, Suzanne. After that delay my mom asked me to wait and call them when my train was ready to leave. I always worried that doing so would cause me to miss my train, but I always managed to get down to the train platform and on it before it left. I remember there was a pay phone next to the door I needed to use to get down to my Rock Island train, so that helped alleviate some of my worry.