About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Wayne and Flo Will Be LLC King and Queen - Friday, February 21, 1964

I just finished counting the LLC ballots and found that Wayne will be this year's Lowell king. Since Wayne got the ballots mixed up and I have temporary possession of the queen ballots, I counted them since I'm both Lucerne president and last year's queen. I'm glad Flo will be this year's queen. I finally got up enough nerve to get a heart-to-heart talk started with Fred. At least he knows more about how I feel about things now. I feel a lot better, too. He told me that his father died when he was five and he came to resent his mother's and sister's relationship. Park won a really good basketball game by one point at the last minute over Evangel.

2 comments:

Susan Perez said...

Hi Barbara ... Kay and I have been following your blog and enjoying your diary entries .... I loved seeing my name in your journal. You are stimulating our memories of wonderful days at Park....

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

Hi Susan Birrell Perez. It is so good to see your comment. I am glad you and Kay Donnelly Reeves are enjoying my diary entries. I always like knowing I have tapped into someone's memory box. I hope you will leave more comments. I like your photo with the wall telephone. Those were the days.