About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

May 22, 2018: From A 1961-65 Park College Diary to Pinned Tweets on Twitter

Today I edited my April 25, 2018 post about Elizabeth Flock saying - during the April 21, 2018 Library of Congress and District of Columbia Public Library #DCAuthorFest - "A listing of your memories is not a memoir." I knew she was right.

The fact is this: Getting a memoir - or any book - published is hard work. I can no longer pretend that A 1961-65 Park College Diary is going to be a book.

So with this May 22, 2018 post I'm announcing that I will no longer be posting updates to my blog. It's time to put it to bed. [Posts beginning with January 1, 2010 can still be found at http://parkcollege1961-1965.blogspot.com]

I'll be using Twitter as my sounding board. I've posted a combined 18,800 tweets (my own commentary on Twitter) and RTs (retweets of other users' tweets). I've added commentary to some of the RTs.

I can be found on Twitter: @BarbaraMcDWhitt

I invite you to follow me there. If you are not a Twitter user, know that if I taught myself to use it, you can.

In January 2012 I taught myself to use Twitter. I've changed my Twitter profile photo, header photo, and bio several times. Presently my bio states: My writing has appeared in Psychology Today, The Christian Century, The Washington Post, The Kansas City Star, Bookstore Journal, The Writer and School & Community.

I like Twitter and its "Pinned Tweet" feature. A pinned tweet is one that stays in place at the top of a user's page. My present pinned tweet is based on a contribution I made to a book called "Letters to Hillary" that was compiled by Dr. Lynda Y. de la Vina, Editor, after Hillary Clinton's 2016 election loss. I was very happy to have my contribution included. In it I wrote about our granddaughter, then four, wanting to be president. I also wrote that I told Hillary, while shaking hands with her, "I'm very eager for you to be our first woman president." Hillary responded, "Well thank you very much for that."

Twitter gives me the chance to join conversations pertaining to politics, writing and more.

Rather than dream about having a book published, I want to work toward having articles published.

I also want to read more of other people's books that I have bought and haven't read or have started but haven't finished reading. I want to close my computer when I'm in the presence of my husband's and my two granddaughters, now five and two, and enjoy them in their present moment.

So - without further ado - I hereby sign off from A 1961-65 Park College Diary. If you were along for the journey - thank you.










No comments: