About the diary writer

My photo
Kansas City, Missouri, Alexandria, Virginia, United States
~ About: A 1961-65 Park College Diary ~ As a high school girl and then a college coed in the first half of the 1960s, I wrote nightly entries on the pages of one-year diaries. In January 2010 I began transcribing the entries into a blog and gave each one a title. I grew up on three farms within 30 miles of Iowa City and the University of Iowa with its Iowa Writers' Workshop. As the oldest of four daughters, in my diaries I sometimes referred to my sisters as "the kids" or "the girls." We helped our parents, but we also had good, wholesome fun - a characteristic I took with me to Park. Park is 300 miles southwest of West Chester, Iowa, in Parkville, Missouri, on the Missouri River 10 miles northwest of Kansas City, Missouri, and across the river from Kansas City, Kansas. In 2000 Park College became Park University. Today Park's flagship campus is in Parkville and there are an additional 41 campus centers across the nation. Park was one of the first educational institutions in the United States to offer online learning. My last post was on May 22, 2018. I may be followed on Twitter @BarbaraMcDWhitt.

Dodge Stuck on Old Road to Washington - Saturday, April 1, 1961

If ever anyone didn't get anything done in a day, it's me. This morning the youth fellowship had a bake sale at the store. I didn't stay to help, but they made $42.00. I got some of the wash ready and while I was doing that Daddy called and said he had the Dodge stuck with a load of feed on the old road to Washington. I got dinner while Mom went to his aid. It's still stuck. This afternoon we went to town. I got a lavender blouse and a new pair of hose. Virginia and Ann went to Mr. Peters' class of instruction. Actually, he's two years late getting around to it.

2 comments:

Suzanne Whitt said...

What sort of instruction was Mr. Peter's giving?

Barbara McDowell Whitt said...

It was his version of a confirmation or church membership class. He had already surprised them weeks before his "class" by asking them to come forward to join the church without any advance warning and without having any classes.